After finalizing your alimony, timesharing, and child support agreements, it is possible that your needs and situation may change over time. You will need to petition the court to change your present agreement. In order to alter any current settlement agreement the party seeking modification must show a considerable change in circumstance.

Modification of Alimony

Sometimes as the financial circumstances of the parties change after divorce, it may be necessary to change the amount or kind of alimony. It is essential to have a skilled and experienced lawyer review your situation and determine whether you qualify for a modification of alimony payments. In order to change alimony, the courts will require that the moving party show a substantial change in circumstance. Some substantial changes in circumstance that may warrant modification are; one party losing their job, one party making substantially less money or receiving a significant salary increase.

Modification of Child Support

The objective of child support is to make sure that your child is living a comfortable and stable life style. If the financial standing of one or both parties change, child support can be legally modified. A significant change in financial standing can include one party losing their job, one party making much less money or receiving a significant salary increase, changes in daycare or health insurance.

Modification of Child Custody

At times it is necessary to modify the terms of your child custody/timesharing agreement. Some modifications can be more urgent than others, especially if one parent feels the child is in any danger. In order to change an agreement that is already in place, the moving party must prove both a significant change in circumstance and that it is in the best interests of the child to alter the agreement. Situations may include, one household becoming abusive or unsafe for the children, relocation of a parent, or life style changes including work hours and substance abuse of one party.

Your children’s well-being is the most vital aspect of the divorce process. Winston Law, P.A. wants to ensure that your children are properly cared for and supported. If your financial situation or your ex-spouses financial situation has changed it is important for you to speak with a skilled and experienced lawyer to discuss the possible changes to your child support order.

If you or a loved one are considering a modification of your divorce settlement agreement or are interested in more information, contact Winston Law, P.A. at or (561) 670-9375.